Calhoun County Clerk Anne Norlander brags about having the endorsement of the majority of County Clerks in her campaign for Secretary of State, Ruth Johnson is the Oakland County Clerk, and also claims to have support from her fellow clerks.
What is it that all of these clerks want from the Secretary of State? What did Anne Norlander and Ruth Johnson have to commit to fellow clerks to get these endorsements?
The Michigan Report obtained the listing of the Michigan Association of County Clerks and Michigan Association of Municipal Clerks legislative priorities for 2009-2010, which reads like a laundry list of the priorities for Jocelyn Benson, the democrats and ACORN.
The Michigan Association of County Clerks Legislative priorities for 2009-10 contains 26 items in no particular ranked order. Included are (typed as written):
- no reason AV
- early voting
- permit a voter who registered by mail to show ID to any clerk to satisfy ID requirement for AB ballots
- permit citizens to register to vote in any clerk’s office
- same day voter registration
- regulate voter registration drives
- increase charge for recounts (index cost to $75 or $25 if the difference is 1/2 of one percent)
- fee increases – marriage license, DBA
- pilot super precincts
Michigan Association of Municipal Clerks legislative committee 2009-10 priority list contains 17 items in particular ranked order. Included are (typed as written):
- in-person “early-voting”
- no reason AV
- voter registration at “any” clerk’s office
- ID verification at any clerk’s office for 1st time AV ballot request process
- reform recount process and fees
- delivery of election result documents the next day, provided unofficial #’s reported same day
- revise absentee ballot application form to use for all elections in a year
This article on right Michigan exposes Ruth Johnson as a supporter of no reason absentee voting and attempting to cover it up by deleting the press release from her Oakland County Clerk website http://www.rightmichigan.com/story/2010/8/19/114838/795
Conservative convention delegates who oppose no reason absentee voting, same day voter registration, early voting, and fee increases, should pay attention to who the clerks are endorsing and stay away.